50th Birthday Party
50 Years Young
Woden Valley Youth Choir celebrated its 50th birthday on 12 February 2019. This was an opportunity for past and present choristers to get together, share memories and sing! Our Founders, Don and Barbara Whitbread were there as well as Alpha Gregory who conducted the choir for 20 years from 1997-2016. Kimberley Steele, Artistic Director from 2016-18, made an appearance (via video from Hungary) and current Artistic Director Olivia Swift led the event with her usual grace and charm, resulting in a wonderful occasion of celebration. Alumni included former choristers from every decade, including a couple from the very first rehearsal! The birthday doubled as an open rehearsal for those interested in auditioning.
Alumni Choir being formed
Calling All Alumni
An alumni choir is being formed for the 50th Anniversary Concert and to sing at a church service on the Sunday morning. Please contact us ASAP if you are interested. Rehearsals will be on Tuesday evenings at Charles Weston School in Coombs alongside our regular choir rehearsals. We want as many alumni as possible to join the choir and relive those wonderful days of their youth.
We have email addresses for only about 400 of over 1500 choir alumni. If you know anybody from your choir days who may not have heard about our Anniversary, please ask them to contact firstname.lastname@example.org We do so want to be in touch with as many as possible.
50th Anniversary Alumni Social Evening
An evening of reminiscing, singing (of course) and catching up with old choir friends
Friday 23 August – Canberra Southern Cross Club 92-96 Corinna St, Woden
- 6pm – Dinner in the The Clubhouse Restaurant
- 7pm – 10pm The Way We Were (and maybe still are?) – Social Evening, Rainbow Room, Sing a Choir Favourite, Open Mic!! Looking for a host!!
Anniversary Concert - 24 August
50th Anniversary Concert
24 August 2019
As we celebrate our 50th anniversary, the 2019 Annual Concert will be one not to be missed. Join us at Llewellyn Hall for a concert like no other. The Concert will feature the 6 groups which form Woden Valley Youth Choir PLUS the WVYC Alumni Choir. Will you be part of it?
Venue: Llewellyn Hall, Canberra
Alumni - Sunday 25 August
10:30 service at Wesley Uniting Church 20-22 National Circuit, Forrest
- Alumni Choir – Conducted by Don Whitbread
- 9:45 meet in Music Centre foyer
- 10:00 – warm up and rehearse in Green Room
- 10:30 – Lead worship – Introit, Anthem and Postlude
- Time – 12.30pm
- Venue – Sprout Café, National Arboretum, Forest Drive, Molonglo Valley
- We are unable to book – just turn up if you are not rushing to catch a plane back to somewhere interstate. Join other alumni for a Last Hoorah to round off the Birthday weekend.